The mining industry is heavily reliant on various types of weighing systems and truck scales in order to determine payload values.
While there are a number of solutions available, some mining scale systems are more suitable for mining operations than others. From weighbridges to portable truck scales, below are the advantages behind three specific mining scale systems that enable mining companies to thrive.
1. Weighbridge Truck Scales
Weighbridge truck scales are large truck scales that get mounted on the surface in a permanent manner. Weighbridges can come in both Pit and pitless (or on-surface) models. Selection is based on selected preferences.
Weighbridges are equipped with ramps so that the truck can get to the weighbridge. To ensure that the weighing surface is at equal levels with the ground surface, a pit is mounted with the weighing material and the platform located within the pit.
Beneath the weighbridge calculation of weight occurs. They use load cells primarily and weighing is done when the truck is empty and when loaded so as to determine the mass. The load cells are connected to several electronic equipment so as to as achieve functions.
Some of the most commendable benefits of weighbridge truck scales in include:
- Accuracy. The sensitive load cells on weighbridge scales can achieve an accuracy level of up to 20kgs
- Even load distribution so that no weight is overly concentrated on a particular load cell enabling efficient weight calibration.
- 3G devices/ The modern weighbridge scale is synced with 3G devices so that it can be communicated to other 3G devices and computer servers. This is also a provision for real time information.
2. Portable Truck Scales
Most portable truck scales come in form of weigh pads which are less conspicuous and easily portable. The pads form a surface over which trucks can drive over so as to measure up the load weight. The data gets displayed on a remote terminal where the information is also recorded.
Portable truck scales are also called portable truck wheel weigher systems based on their mode of executing functions. They come with ramps which allow the truck to get to the centre of the portable weight scale.
Below the ramps are load cells which are highly sensitive but are protected by the same ramps. The load cells are the ones that measure weight and through a cable, will transmit data to a remote terminal.
Some of the advantages of portable truck scales include:
- High accuracy as a result of the sensitivity of the load cells.
- Portability since more often weigh pads and the accompanying terminal and wires come in an easy to carry case.
- Easier set-up as it takes a shorter time and following the small size can also be a one-man-job.
- Convenient terminals since they come with LCD screen display systems and can even store and print out data.
3. On-board Truck Scales
On-board truck scales are found on the truck itself and weighing occurs as well on the truck. On-board truck scales are designed with load cell technology, although some on-board truck scale manufacturers engineer their systems using different weighing mechanisms.
In addition to trucks, on-board scales can be installed on various other pieces of equipment, such conveyor belts as well as lift trucks and cold planers, to name a few. Some of the advantages of on board truck scales include:
- Money and time efficient. These scales save the hustle involved in the payload management procedure. This is because the system simply weighs loads directly from the vehicle in use or any other equipment.
- Higher efficiency. On-board truck scales are equally accurate however they have a higher advantage following the capacity to keep track of the load during transportation. Also payload management procedures are less tiresome.
- Audio-visual alarm systems which can be set by the operator based on the truck capacity thus eliminating the risk of overloads
These the most common types of mining scale systems that used today. Some companies are beginning to adopt other alternatives, such as the load scanner system, which also improve the efficiency of payload management processes.